My adaptation today is from the Eat Yourself Skinny blog and is my version of their Summer Quinoa Salad. As usual, I decided to make something before I’d really double-checked if I had everything and so I adapted as I went. My own version of the recipe is lovingly recorded below.
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked according to package instructions) – I reckon if you have a moral issue about quinoa, then wild rice would do really well as a subsitute
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 1/2 yellow pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 orange pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 broccoli head (separated into small florets)
- handful of baby carrots (chopped)
- 1 small can of corn (drained)
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tblspn balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespn olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of chilli powder
- 1 tblspn flax seeds
- 1 tsp of dried basil (fresh would be ideal but this year’s basil crop is looking way worse than last year’s)
Possible additions/serving suggestions: add feta cheese and avocado; put into wraps or tacos; serve with grilled chicken; use lime juice instead of lemon.
Cook the quinoa according to the package (boil 2 cups water, remove from heat, add quiona, return to medium heat, covered, for +-12 mins, then cool for 5, fluff with a fork). Once done, stir in the basil.
Saute onion, peppers, and broccoli in some olive oil until the broccoli is soft. In a separate bowl, whisk lemon juice, balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper together.
In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, sauteed veggies, carrots, and flax seeds. Throw in the dressing and stir well.
Serve into bowls. Consume. Feel virtuous 🙂