Don’t want to gross out your veggie guests with gravy made from beast extract? Here’s a super quick and easy veggie gravy recipe that works really well for Christmas dishes:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 diced red onion (or 1/2 if small onion)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp garlic salt (optional – I often use fresh crushed garlic instead)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or 2 vegetable stock cubes and 1 1/2 cups boiled water)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- pepper and herbs to taste.
Heat butter on medium and sautée the onion. Add flour and cook for about five mins. Stir well. I usually use a whisk to ensure the end result is lump free. Add the veggie broth/stock and cornstarch and stir well. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Stir constantly to avoid gross lumps of cornstarch and flour. Finally, add the soy sauce and cook for another minute or so.It should thicken as it cools.
I avoid adding any salt because of the soy sauce, but tend to chuck in some herbs and some pepper. Rosemary goes really well.
Now your vegetarian friends need not look on with envy while you slather your potatoes with delicious juices.