What do you do when you end up growing zucchinis this size?
Why, you make zucchini and corn fritters of course (and double chocolate zucchini muffins, but that’s for another post)!
Ingredients (for fritters):
- 2 cups shredded/grated zukes (probably 1 1/2 large zukes)
- 1 small can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 60 ml polenta
- 10 ml baking powder
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
- vegetable oil for frying
Method (for fritters):
1.In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients. If it feels a little dry, then you can add more polenta or flour. If you don’t have polenta, then you can just add a little more flour. I basically see how watery the zukes are. You don’t want it to become too floury, but also not too wet.
2.Pour a generous amount of oil into a frying pan (cover the bottom) and heat on about medium. Wait for the oil to get hot and then drop a generous spoonful of the mixture into the pan. I do two at a time in a regular frying pan. Cook well. Once small bubbles form on the top and start to burst, you can flip the fritters and fry the other side. Once both sides are firm, you can turn them a few times. I find this ensures they cook through, without burning. Cook until golden brown.
As you can only do a few at a time, put some paper towel on a baking sheet and put this in the oven on very low. This also helps drain some of the oil.
Ingredients (red kidney bean topping):
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- handful of fresh coriander and oregano (chopped)
- pinch chilli powder
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1/2 small tomato (diced)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- sour cream
Method (red kidney bean topping):
2. Add the beans and tomato paste. Cook on low-medium. I let this simmer nicely while the fritters were cooking so all the flavours blended together.
3. Add the rest of the fresh herbs shortly before serving.
4. Top the fritters with the beans and add some sour cream to taste.
Tip: The fritters are really good cold the next day, so it’s worth frying up all the batter at once. The kidney bean mix is also good the next day too.